Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Oregon International Airshow pt. 2

One of the greatest parts of airshows is seeing other people who are passionate about flying. Working in the industry myself, I find it quite sad that there are so few people who get excited about what they do. My yearly airshow fixes help put things back into perspective for me. I was able to meet a great deal of people this past weekend at Oregon and it was such a breath of fresh air to see you so excited about aviation. My only wish is that you would go after that excitement and learn to fly yourselves. One of the remarkable things about aviation in 2007 is the fact that literally ANYONE can learn to fly. There are inexpensive airplanes to fly for those on a tight buget who simply want to get airborne, and there are airplanes you can train in that will make your head dance! It's only a matter of will power and patience.

For only $60 any of you can go to an FBO (fancy name for flight school) and take your first introductory flight lesson where you can actually fly the airplane with an instructor--just to see if you like it! I started my flying career by doing this several times starting right after I turned 13. A private pilots license runs you around $6,000 these days and you can easily obtain student loans to help offset the cost. Depending upon your flying schedule this can take anywhere from two years to six months.

So, if you've ever wanted to at least get a taste of what it's like to fly an airplane, do not hesitate! Give it a try! There is no better time than right now! :)

No comments: